Boy receives AirPods for Christmas, then unintentionally swallows one

A 7-year-old boy from Georgia was rushed to the hospital after unintentionally swallowing an AirPod, which he acquired as a Christmas present.

Kiara Stroud, the boy’s mom, informed native Atlanta station WSB-TV 2 that her son was “holding it in his mouth by the lengthy half.” It stays unclear what precisely occurred to make the boy swallow one of many wi-fi earbuds, however an X-ray taken on the Kids’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston confirmed that the AirPod was in his abdomen, just under the ribcage.

Stroud shared a picture of the X-ray on Fb. “No extra AirPods for this child,” she wrote, and informed WSB-TV 2’s Tyisha Fernandes that her second-grader will most likely have to stay to old style headsets till he will get a little bit bit older.

Stroud’s son, in the meantime, informed his mom that he doesn’t wish to be close to his cellphone, which he additionally acquired as a present on Christmas. “I don’t need it to connect with my cellphone and begin taking part in music,” the boy stated to her.

Fortuitously for the boy, he won’t must endure surgical procedure as a result of incident. The medical doctors on the hospital determined to go away the AirPods inside his abdomen, because the wi-fi earbud will “go” naturally.

Imagine it or not, this isn’t the primary time that somebody swallowed an AirPod. It was reported in Might that Ben Hsu from Taiwan fell asleep together with his AirPods in his ears. Upon waking up, certainly one of them was lacking, and after utilizing the Discover My AirPods characteristic, he heard a beeping sound from his abdomen.

Hsu went to the hospital, the place an X-ray confirmed that he unintentionally swallowed the wi-fi earbud. Nevertheless, much like the case with Stroud’s son, the medical doctors beneficial to easily anticipate the AirPods to emerge from the opposite finish of his gastrointestinal tract.

The kicker to that story is that when he lastly obtained his AirPod again, Hsu stated that it nonetheless labored even after being submerged in abdomen acid. Whereas this speaks volumes for the sturdiness of Apple’s wi-fi earbuds, it ought to go with out saying that it’s a good suggestion to keep away from swallowing them within the first place.

Editors’ Suggestions

  • Are Apple AirPods waterproof? Every thing it’s essential to know

  • This isn’t an AirPod — it’s a wearable not like any I’ve seen earlier than

  • This touchscreen AirPods case is the worst factor I’ve seen all week

  • Samsung could also be on the point of launch a brand new AirTag rival this yr

  • OnePlus Buds Professional 2’s spatial audio makes me wish to ditch the AirPods Professional